Monday, August 27, 2012

One of the Best Beaches around--Grayton Beach State Park

The carful of kids adore the beach and we have been to a lot of beaches in our travels but we have one day to enjoy our favorite beach. We are driving hard to sneak a day in at Grayton Beach State Park in South Walton, Florida.

The South Walton area is a series of small beach towns that run south of Destin to Panama City along 30-A--the highway that connects them. Day-use parking is hard to find and beach access can be limited but the sand and surf are worth it.

I've known about Destin for years and the carful of kids made it here in 2007 when my youngest was 6 months old, it has been on my list to return ever since. With its turquoise water and sugary white sand that crunches when you walk on it--it's hard to resist and I thought you had to fly to the Caribbean to see beaches like this.

The carful of kids are on the tail end of another road trip but we need some beach time, the crashing waves and smell of salt water are calling us. We just finished up a day in Savannah, Georgia, and are headed back to our home in Central Texas after making it all the way to Mackinac Island.

From experience I know that the hotels along 30-A have two-night minimums during the summer so that is out, but I whip out my smart phone and my paper atlas and do some research. There are a couple of things that I remember from our last trip to Florida.

A few minutes later, I book a room in Defuniak Springs, Florida, that has a reasonable rate without the two-night minimum. It is right at the turn off for US Highway 331 heading south into Grayton Beach State Park, just 30 miles away.

The kids are on board and willing to forgo our usual stops so we can end the day with a beach sunset. I know we're getting close when I can smell the beach through my rolled-down windows.

A quick, friendly question to the police officer directing traffic and he points the carful of kids to legal parking spot. I barely shift the SUV into park before the kids bolt for the beach.

I hear the crashing waves and bliss awaits. We spend the rest of the waining sun playing in the surf, didn't even get the swimsuits on.

It is dark before I can lure the kids back into the SUV. I need stop at the grocery store in Santa Rosa Beach to restock for our beach day.

I don't want to waste any daylight stocking up on supplies because the carful of kids want to spend as much time as possible sitting on the beach. I have driven the carful of kids to the Canadian border and back I would like to sit in a beach chair with some fluffy fiction and recharge.

It's late by the time we get back to our room. No complaining because we have a whole day to play at the beach.

Baby shark head 
The carful of kids are in the SUV early and head to Grayton Beach State Park, I know there are not many day-use parking spots for this state park on the gulf. We arrive at the check-in and the ranger asks us for $ 5 for admission for the whole car--that's right, five bucks.

I don't have to ask twice to get some kid help when unloading the handfuls of sand toys. We find a nice open spot on the beach and park ourselves. 

The carful of kids start making a sand fort and this will take all day.  Isn't that the beauty of a beach day.

My daughter finds a really cool baby shark head.  I decide not to ask the obvious Mom questions.  

Speaking of safety at the beach, I always pack the life jackets.  I always make my kids wear the life jackets and I don't care if they are the only kids wearing them. 

Grayton Beach State Park doesn't not have a life guard station anywhere in sight while we are here. I know enough about rip currents to respect them. 

Lunchtime hits and we decide to use the covered picnic tables near the parking lot for our picnic instead of the beach. I love the sand just not in my turkey sandwich.

The carful of kids carry on with exploring the beach until late afternoon when we need to move on. A word of advice though--the park advertises showers in their list of amenities. I had hoped for enclosed showers in the restrooms but I find rinse off showers outside--not the same.  

The carful of kids need to make it to our next destination and I have a reservation in New Orleans, 275 miles east of us. It will take me close to five hours to get there and I was hoping to do it without sandy bottom.

Up Next: Family-friendly New Orleans

Know before you go:  If your family loves the beach and want a great beach vacation I recommend this area. It is well south of the crowds and hotel and restaurant chains of Destin, Florida--it's primarily second homes and rental properties.

The rental market usually rents by the week only during the summer and that is what we did the first time we came here. My kids were five, four and six months old at the time and we needed something easy because of the baby.

We rented a condo within walking distance and played at the beach all week. It was easy because the condo had a pool and a full kitchen.

If that doesn't appeal to you then Grayton Beach State Park has duplex rental cabins that are fully air-conditioned and sleep six. They are equipped with a full kitchen and available for one-day rentals during the week or by the week as well, they also have camping and RV spots.








No comments:

Post a Comment