Monday, January 5, 2015

West Texas Road Trip with the Carful of Kids


Can you call yourself a Texan without a trip to West Texas--Big Bend in particular? I have spent 40 years living here; I was born here, educated here but had never made the pilgrimage. It might be time to check it out.

The carful of kids usually take a ski trip over the Christmas holidays but we couldn't make a go of it this year.  We didn't have many days left--trips to both sets of grandparents were promised and on the calendar.

Not to be discouraged, I pulled out my handy atlas that I have been toting around since 1994.  Looking over the pages, nothing seemed to excite me until I flipped the page to West Texas. Taking a few minutes, I scanned it--Fort Davis, Marfa, Big Bend. Maybe.

Whipping out the laptop, I started checking around.  Looked like enough to keep the carful of kids entertained for several days with wide-open spaces and plenty of sunshine.  I'd pitch the idea to the kids at dinner.

Idea pitched and accepted. A little research, a few emails and a couple of phone calls, I had an itinerary pulled together. The carful of kids had driven through West Texas on our way to other places but this would be the first time we turned off I-10 headed for the border.


Day 1--

Drive to West Texas Region from our home in Central Texas.

Grab a bite to eat at Storm's in Burnet, TX

Stop at Fort Lancaster south of Sheffield, TX along I-10

Check out those Marfa Lights

Spend the night in Alpine, TX

Day 2--

Drive on to Marfa and check out the art scene--Chinati in particular

Stop at Fort Lancaster National Historic Site earn a Junior Ranger Badge

Maybe something to eat at Fort Davis Drug Store

Check out the night sky at McDonald Observatory for their star party

Spend the night at the Indian Lodge in Fort Davis State Park

Day 3--

Drive to Big Bend National Park earn a Junior Ranger Badge

Spend the night in Terlingua, TX in a cozy cabin

Day 4--

Another day in Big Bend to explore and hike

Spend the night in Del Rio, TX

Day 5--

Head east through the Texas Hill Country stopping at Garner State Park and Lost Maples State Park

Spend the night in Kerrville, TX

Day 6--

Stop in Fredericksburg

Grab a bite at the Nutty Brown Cafe in South Austin

Home

NOTE--All this planning was done several months before our trip due to its timing and the popularity of the places we visited.

Up Next: Day 1 Fort Lancaster

No comments:

Post a Comment