Saturday, July 14, 2012

Chicago Part 1

The carful of kids is in Chicago. This is the first really big urban city that they have visited. I will tell you that I am a little pensive about taking a nine year old, an eight year old and my very independent four year old into the big city by myself with the help of my best friend, Melissa. My kids live in a small town of 15,000 people. Their school has one class for each grade. They have never been in an truly urban city with crowded sidewalks that they can easily get lost. I am explaining to the kids since they can get lost we have to hold hands when I ask. The boys are not happy about this. We go over the cross walk signs and how we have to pay more attention when we walk around a big city. There will be street people that might come up to them and ask for money. I tell them it is problably best not to make eye contact with people that they do not know. They see their first subway train. It is really fun to see them discover all the new experiences of a large world class city. In my life before motherhood, I was a flight attendent and lived in New York City, so I have been to Chicago more times than I can remember.

We spent the day in St. Louis, so we arrive in Chicago in early evening. We decide that we have to have Chicago-style pizza. After all we are in here and what kid doesn't love pizza. After a quick search on the smart phone, we decide on Lou Malnati's. Routing ourselves through an unfamilar city can be a challenge but we get there. I draw on my experience living in Queens. My best friend that lives in suburban Houston, is a little leary at leaving the car in a grittier neighborhood. I look around. It will be fine, it is early. I try to be open minded but we are two women traveling alone with three children in an urban city with urban crime so we have to be observant. I am more of a thin crust pizza girl but I did like the Lou Malnati's pizza. The pizza is well over an inch thick with its sausage, cheese, pepperoni and robust red sauce. I am afraid that the crust would be soggy but it is crispy crust perfection. After dinner we find our way to the Best Western on Grant Park. I forewarn the kids that we will be in a small room because the larger the city, the smaller the room. Sure enough I am sitting on the bed right now and typing this on the desk--no room for a chair. Well baths for the carful of kids and a little TV before bed. We have a big day tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment