Sunday, July 8, 2012

Packing the car and preparing the mind...

What is required to take three kids ages nine, eight and four on a 4,000 mile road trip? Well, I would like to say months of planning, days of meticulous organizing and a day dedicated to the packing of the car.

In my world, where I don't have the luxury of finishing a complete sentence, that's not a possibility. I generally run through the mileage and try to keep the daily mileage at or about 500 miles per day. I have been known to push the mileage to 750 miles a day, but Mom is a zombie by the time we pull into the hotel.

Typically I try to find an interesting stop along the road for the kids to run around. This can be a smaller national or state park. We're always earning National Park Junior Ranger Badges on our road trips; letting the kids run around instantly diffuses their energy. If you feed them after running around a park you can usually get a good nap out of them and a peaceful drive for yourself.

Sometimes their silence is golden, other times it can lull you to sleep. It can be a challenge to stay alert on the road but I have a few tricks. I always have something to sip on, but nothing really sweet. I feel the sweet drinks make you sleepy. I pack some minty gum and Tic-Tacs. The minty flavor is energizing for your mouth. I pack nuts for myself to munch. The protein is filling. I really have to fight the bored munchies when I am behind the wheel. The kids have every snack you can think of. But that is part of the fun for them.

When I am planning my road trips I usually book rooms with Best Western. They are in most towns that have national chain hotels. They are generous with their rewards program and they have an adequate breakfast in the morning. Did I mention they have a pool for the kids. Many a night we are at the pool. Sometimes I get in other times I am sitting on the edge with an adult beverage in my plastic stemless glass. Most summers they have a promotion where if you stay 3 nights at different properties you get a free night free. Great if you are trying sneak in another trip. I know the Best Western is no where near glamorous. But a road trip with the kids is not glamorous. It is a family friendly adventure where you are never sure what lies around the next bend.

We have had several multi week road trips before so I have worked out a few kinks on road tripping with the kids. When packing--just pack up your house. No, that won't work. I have tried and I just end up getting frustrated every time I have to load and unload the ca . I usually pack enough clothes for one week, knowing that I will have to wash some clothes along the way. I bring a little thing of Tide with me and a leak proof bottle of Woolite. I pack clothes that can be washed together. I pack heavy on socks and underwear. They don't take up much room and it is harder to ignore them when they are dirty. I usually throw in a fleece and some jeans. I have umbrellas in the car and most tourist spots have cheap ponchos that they pull out in case of showers. I have a extensive first aid kit with common over the counter medications for children and adults. I have had to treat earaches, nausea, vomiting, pink eye and assorted allergies. My kids don't get sick that often but it always helps to be prepared.


A quick word about car maintenance. I am out on the road putting 3,000 to 4,000 miles on my car per trip. I have a trusted mechanic that I take my car. I tell him what kind of road conditions that I will be encountering. He thoroughly inspects my SUV and knows that I am traveling with another woman and my carful of kids. I have a Toyota 4 Runner with 4 wheel drive that has close to 130,000. I have maintained the SUV according to the manufacturer's recommendations. I like my SUV and have treated it with respect. Now what the kids have done to the back seat is another story. I have good tires and change the oil frequently. I check my tire pressure several times during the trip. I also know how change a tire and have done it on my own. I have no hesitations about the ability of my SUV to get the carful of kids around the country and back home safely. Because I am out on the road with my best friend and my carful of kids I make sure that I know any conditions that my car has before I leave. Car maintenance is an ongoing project, don't underestimate the important of a well maintained car.





No comments:

Post a Comment