Tuesday, September 1, 2015

To Canada or Not to Canada

This is the 2013 Toyota RAV4 that replaced the stolen 2012 one.
A little over a year ago, I found myself in a what I thought was a fairly secure paid parking lot in Montreal, Canada, on Canada Day with my best friend and my three children, carless. We, the Carful of Kids, had been a victim of international crime from an alleged organized car theft ring that exports stolen cars to Africa. Our Toyota RAV4 and its contents were stolen unnoticed moments after I had locked it. Still hard to believe.

We made it though the moments immediately following the crime amazingly level-headed and fit-free; I managed to get the carful of kids back schedule within eight hours time. Our trip was saved and we didn’t have to return back to the US prematurely even after we discovered my husband’s passport was stolen.

It was a defining moment in my career as a freelance travel writer and former flight attendant—I really considered writing off the blog and curtailing our family road trip adventures, like somehow I was to blame for the theft. When I got back from our summer road trip, my time was dedicated to replacing our stuff and filing insurance claims, I just couldn’t write about the experience yet.

Summer cooled and the kids went back to school, fall was filled with sports and projects before you know it I was staring at this screen trying to piece together our annual Christmas letter. I knew it was time to write about it so I did. It was great to get the story out, at times, it was funny.

After the Christmas decorations were put up, I sat down and somehow managed to piece together enough photos from my iPhone to blog our road trip. Then I started to look forward and think about another adventure--this time out West to show my kids Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks.

That was not enough, I wanted to show them Banff National Park in Alberta. Yes, I wanted to cross the border again.

Was I tempting fate? I was told I was a fool and several people shook their heads and laughed at me when I told them I was headed back to Canada to give her another chance.

I just didn't care, I wanted to see more of the country and finish my quest of showing the Caful of Kids the lower 48. So come along as we discover the wonder and beauty of the Canadian Rockies.

Up Next: Getting out of Texas.


1 comment: